Friday, April 17, 2020

The Days of Small Things

The limitations put upon my small life, making it seem even smaller, has me thinking a lot about how I thrive day to day on our little plot of earth and my six circular feet of space in public. I have read many posts about how others are getting up each day and making a life while social distancing. I have been intrigued and impressed by how many people are thriving. My own life has remained quite busy, stitched together with a number of small details. The fullness of life altered, a seemingly diminutive version of itself, by a slow release, like air from an air mattress until it can be folded and shoved into a small pouch. Bit by bit I let go of the form my life had taken while remaining in contact with my ministry and work via technology and the Internet.

I recognized early on I needed to maintain a routine or would be tempted to slouch in a chair and read myself into oblivion, only to surface disgruntled recognizing I allowed confinement to turn out the lights on my life. I am not saying there is no need for such moments of self-indulgence. Absolutely, one must have some time to soothe the shell shocked soul. But once I became reacquainted with the small delightful details threading my days together I respond to this unique season. I am being invited to explore the parameters of a down-sized life and to pay attention to what God is doing.

For who has despised the day of small things? But these seven will be glad when they see the plumb line in the hand of Zerubbabel – these are the eyes of the LORD which range to and for throughout the earth.” Zechariah 4:10 (NASB)

To Judah’s enemies, the rebuilding of the temple in Jerusalem seemed completely unnecessary. And to those who have seen the house of the Lord in its former glory, this new building seemed dishearteningly small and inconsequential in comparison. However, God promised in Haggai 2:9, ‘The latter glory of this house will be greater than the former . . . and in this place I will give peace.’ The important point is this: God longs to dwell among His people and work through us in awesome ways. We should never despise the tasks that appear minor or ignore the assignments He asks us to do. Others may deem them as being insignificant, but the Lord knows the priceless value of a willing heart and a surrendered life.”
The footnote of my New American Standard Life Principles Bible says this in reference to Zechariah 4:10.

I spent time considering gifts discovered in my small world while sheltering from the hot breath of the COVID-19 virus. There are gifts to be discovered in the small spaces in which we find ourselves; God wastes nothing. When I feel the limitations constricting my desires and leaving me slightly off kilter, I hold onto the hope that I will be more fully formed into His likeness at the outcome of this trial. It is up to me to consent to the difficulties and this smaller way of living. I am drawn to the viewpoint of Marlee Ledai from Living Spaces. “[It’s] not about finding the right home or being at home as much as it is about being a home. Home happens when you hang out with yourself. . . . Home implies shelter – from the elements, strangers, and our troubles.”

Not only am I spending more time with myself, I am spending more time being present with Jesus. What is home becoming for you? What have you learned about yourself by being home more – being with yourself more? Of course many of you are not hanging out by yourself. Home day after day with the whole family can feel like living in a camper. How are you learning to thrive together – make home together?

What have you observed about being home that inspires you to make changes in your life? What have you appreciated about your family, your home, your spouse, and your life that you had not appreciated before the mandatory social distancing? Have you learned to appreciate home in a whole new way?

I’ve become more aware of decisions I have put off. We have a small house and garage. I became more aware of how crowded I felt regarding excess items I couldn’t seem to let go. I am embarrassed to mention this but I have lugged around two heavy old director chairs I bought at a garage sale for $1.50 each about 26 years ago. I truly believed one day I would repaint them and sew seats for them. They are now quarantined in the Salvation Army donation section of the garage. These chairs and several other items will vacate the garage as soon as thrift stores reopen. I need more elbow room if I am going to be segregated from the world outside my house.

Since technology allows me to work from home I don’t have excessive free time. Many of you are in the same predicament but with different challenges. You may be working from home with kids running around the house asking why you won’t take them to the park or beach. You are home after all! The joy of still working is we get paid and feel a sense of purpose while we wait. But there are other small, sweet amenities. One, I have gained the time I would lose driving to work for other endeavors. Two, I can be in comfy clothes all day long (not pj’s of course).


We’ve no idea the full affect this pandemic will have on our communities, not to mention the whole world. Recovery and rebuilding will be required to some degree or another for most. As we reenter the world bit by bit the template our lives were built upon will be changed. Reentering fully may require small steps. Breathe. Yes, we must remember to breathe. Trust. Historically many people have gone through strange and scary times – times that felt ominous – but eventually a scab formed and the world began to heal. Oh there will be scars but when we place ourselves and the situation in God’s hands we will discover the changes gave us opportunities to live a truer life.

Hold onto the words Paul wrote in 2 Corinthians 4:16-18, “That is why we never give up. Though our bodies are dying, our spirits are being renewed every day. For our present troubles are small and won’t last very long. Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever! So we don’t look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever.” (NLT)

Keeping an eternal perspective and our gaze on Jesus is our only hope. Followers of Jesus, we are kingdom dwellers. Our earthly life is just a portal leading from conception to eternal life. Remember:
 


You are the one in whom Christ dwells and delights. You live in the strong and unshakable kingdom of God. The kingdom is not in trouble and neither are you.” – James Bryan Smith


The One who created the universe dwells within His followers and His followers are sheltered under His wings. He has armed us with His power and given us the grace we need to stand firm and live with hope. And while we wait, take time to explore all that is wonderful about your people and your home. Think upon the freedom home offers by considering these words written by G. K. Chesterton 100 years ago. How apropos!

For the truth is that to the moderately poor the home is the only place of liberty. Nay, it is the only place of anarchy. It is the only spot on the earth where a man can alter arrangements suddenly, make an experiment or indulge in a whim. . . . He can eat his meals on the floor in his own house if he likes. . . . A man can wear a dressing gown and slippers in his house (I might add: all day long if he wishes.) . . . It is the one wild place in the world of rules and set tasks.”

No comments:

Post a Comment